Last Updated on October 31, 2023 by Soumya
Getting tickets to Frida Kahlo Museum in Mexico City is a really really important task. That’s because if you don’t buy Frida Kahlo tickets well ahead of time, you won’t get them on the day of your visit!
Yes, that’s true. You need to purchase your Frida Kahlo House tickets at least 4-5 days before visiting.
On my recent trip to Mexico City, all Casa Azul tickets were sold out on two instances. I, finally, managed to get in on Day 3 by purchasing tickets from a third-party provider. And Thank God for that!
Visiting Frida Kahlo House was important to me and I could not have skipped it for anything in the world. Kahlo has always inspired me with her art and life. So, visiting Frida Kahlo House (or Casa Azul as it is also called) was an important item on my Mexico bucket list.
So, here I am to answer all your questions about getting tickets to Frida Kahlo Museum – where to buy them, how much do they cost, how often do these tickets sell out, do you need to book ahead, and so much more.
Please note: This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a commission if you make a purchase by clicking a link on this post. This will be at no additional cost to you. Affiliate links help me keep this website up and running. Thanks for your support!
How to buy Frida Kahlo Museum Tickets?
You can buy Frida Kahlo Museum tickets online on their official website here. The official website is where you’ll get the cheapest tickets. So, I always recommend that you check for tickets on the official museum website first.
In case Frida Kahlo Museo tickets are sold out on your preferred date/time (which is usually the case) on the museum website, don’t worry. You can still get the tickets from third-party providers. Here are three different online market places where you can get your tickets from.
- Tiqets: Usually the cheapest among the three. ▶️ Check Prices and Availability
- Get Your Guide: The middle option – costlier than Tiqets, cheaper than Viator. ▶️ Check Prices and Availability
- Viator: Usually the most expensive among the three. ▶️ Check Prices and Availability
Check availability on Get Your Guide below ⬇
Frida Kahlo tickets on Tiqets and Get Your Guide are offered by Amigo Tours, a very popular and highly-rated tour company in Mexico.
Remember that Frida Kahlo Museum tickets are generally non-refundable.
The museum no longer sells tickets at the box office. So, you’ll need to buy your Casa Azul tickets online before visiting. You cannot just show up.
Good to know before you buy your Casa Azul Ticket
- When you purchase a Frida Kahlo Museum ticket, you get a complimentary ticket for the Diego Rivera Anahuacalli Museum (a house full of Diego Rivera’s pre-Hispanic collection), also in Coyoacan.
- You cannot buy tickets in person. Frida Kahlo Museum does not do box office sales anymore. So, you’ll have to purchase your Kahlo House ticket online on MUSEUM WEBSITE | TIQETS | GET YOUR GUIDE | VIATOR
- Tickets to Casa Azul sell out pretty fast, especially the morning slots. Be sure to purchase your tickets at least 4-5 days in advance. To be on the safer side, I would suggest booking it a week in advance.
- The museum opens up tickets a couple of months at a time. Keep checking here to see if your preferred date has opened up.
- Tickets are usually sold in 15-min slots starting 10:00am – 5:00pm. However, this does not mean that you have to finish your tour in 15 mins and get out. Feel free to explore at your own pace.
- Photography inside the museum rooms is not included in the ticket. You can click pictures in the garden and the courtyards with your admission ticket. However, if you wish to click pictures inside the display rooms, remember to buy a photo permit for 30 pesos at the entrance.
Frida Kahlo Museum Prices
For foreigners, tickets to Frida Kahlo Museum cost 250 pesos ($15 approx.) on Tuesday – Friday and 270 pesos ($16 approx.) on Saturday – Sunday. Add to that some 20 pesos of tax. Note that this price difference only exists on the official website. If you purchase your tickets from a third party, prices are the same on all days but significantly higher.
Ticket rates for Mexican nationals are 110 and 130 pesos respectively.
Students, teachers, and seniors can enter at discounted rates. Children who are 6 years old or younger enter for free.
Frida Kahlo House Opening Hours
Casa Azul or the Blue House of Frida Kahlo is open from 10:00am – 6:00pm on Tuesday, Thursday – Sunday. On Wednesday, the museum is open from 11:00am – 6:00pm.
The Museum of Frida Kahlo is closed on Mondays.
If there are extra closures during the month or some rooms are closed, the museum authority usually puts it up on their official website here. For special hours and holidays, scroll to their Schedules Section here.
Frida Kahlo Museum: Good to know
- The museum organizes special events and workshops on painting, sculpting, and creative writing, that you can register for here.
- If you’d like to see how the Frida Kahlo House looks like, check out their virtual tour here.
- Videography is not permitted at the museum. Photography (without flash) is permitted only with a photo permit that you can buy at the entrance for 30 pesos.
- Frida Kahlo Museum is closed on Mondays.
Frida Kahlo House Tickets FAQ
Yes, you need to book your tickets to Frida Kahlo Museum well ahead of time (at least 4-5 days in advance, more if possible) because tickets tend to sell out very fast. It is impossible to get a ticket on the day of your visit and you cannot just show up because there are no box office sales anymore.
Tickets to Frida Kahlo Museum cost 250 pesos ($15 approx.), Tuesday – Friday and 270 pesos ($16 approx.), Saturday and Sunday.
Yes, Frida Kahlo Museum tickets sell out pretty fast even on weekdays. Purchase your tickets at least 4-5 days in advance to reserve your space.
Yes, you can take photos inside Frida Kahlo Museum but only after purchasing a photo permit worth 30 pesos. Videography is not allowed.