Last Updated on December 12, 2022 by Soumya
Are you planning to travel to Tadoba National Park but are really confused how to go about a Tadoba jungle safari booking – online or offline? Well, then you are at the right place.
Because that is exactly what I am going to tell you! How to easily book a Tadoba tiger safari whether you wish to do it online or through an agent?
I recently visited Tadoba-Andhari Tiger Reserve (TATR) with my family and we were thrilled by the number of tigers we saw. Gosh, we even spotted a leopard! But I agree, the whole jungle safari booking process at Tadoba can be a little challenging especially with so many websites coming up right on the first page of Google. Which one to choose and when and how?
I am going to clear all doubts here in this easy, step-by-step guide to Tadoba national park jungle safari booking. I am also going to link to the official websites where you can view legit safari booking prices and easily do your online booking for Tadoba tiger safari.
Ultimate guide to Tadoba safari booking
Through this dedicated guide, I will take you step-by-step through the entire Tadoba tiger safari booking process including different types of safari, safari prices, how to rent a gypsy, choosing the best gate and so on.
What are the different types of Tadoba tiger safari?
There are 4 kinds of safaris available in Tadoba National Park. They are as follows:
- Core safari: This takes you to the core of the jungle with a higher chance of sighting. Core safaris tend to fill up faster than any of the others because of higher demand. Hence, their pricing is a little complicated as we will see later.
- Buffer safari: This includes a safari of the Tadoba buffer zone. Since the number of tigers at Tadoba has been growing consistently and each tiger needs its own territory, chances of sightings in the buffer zone have also gone up significantly.
- Night safari: I have heard mixed reviews about night safaris. Some people have had good sightings but many others haven’t seen a thing. It is definitely an experience to have especially on a full moon night. Only disadvantage is you won’t really get good pictures in the dark.
- Full-day safari: This is for photographers/videographers who wish to spend longer in the forest. It is an expensive option.
What are Tadoba jungle safari gates/zones?
But before we get started with the details Tadoba jungle safari booking, it is crucial to understand the concept of core and buffer gates at Tadoba National Park.
TATR is divided into core and buffer zones. While only safari is allowed in core areas, various ecotourism activities like boating, nature walks are allowed in the buffer zones. Many resorts located in this zone such as the Tadoba Jungle Camp also facilitate these activities.
Ideally, the core gates get filled up first because they have the maximum number of big cat sightings. So, you have to really plan ahead for Tadoba core zones.
Core gates of Tadoba
There are 4 zones in Tadoba each with their core and buffer gates. These are the Moharli Zone (M), Navegaon Zone (N), Kolara Zone (K), Pangadi and Zari Zone (PZ).
Moharli Zone is the busiest and probably the oldest zone in Tadoba National Park. It has two core gates: Moharli and Khutwanda. Navegaon and Kolara have one each. PZ zone has two core gates. In total, there are 6 core gates in Tadoba.
Have a look at the table below for an idea on how many safaris or safari vehicles are available at each of these gates. Note that as many as 16 gypsies enter through the Moharli gate every time. Yet, this is the gate that gets sold out first!
Please note that no night safaris are available at any of Tadoba’s core gates.
|Zone||Core gate name||Morning safaris||Evening safaris|
Buffer gates of Tadoba
Each of the 4 Tadoba zones has its own buffer gates. Junona Gate in Moharli and Palasgaon Gate in Kolara are the only ones with night safaris.
We have noticed that it is not very difficult to get a jungle safari booking at the buffer gates of Tadoba. That’s why, you do not need to plan too much in advance.
Have a look at the table below for a brief idea on the numbers.
|Zone||Buffer gate name||Morning safaris||Evening safaris||Night safaris|
|N||Navegaon Ramdegi Gate||6||6||NA|
|K||Kolara Chauradeo Gate||6||6||NA|
|PZ||Pangadi Aswal Chuha Gate||6||6||NA|
Which is the best zone in Tadoba?
Moharli is the most popular (it is hard to zero down on the best) zone in Tadoba. Moharli Zone is the most accessible, has the highest number of gates, and is also home to some of best jungle resorts. That said, Moharli Gate is also one of the most crowded.
If you wish to do a relatively uncrowded core safari, you can also enter via Navegaon or Kolara. For example, we did 2 core safaris from Navegaon and had 4 sightings.
Maya, the Queen of Tadoba, is based in Navegaon too. So you have higher chances of seeing her if you enter through Navegaon core.
How to book a jungle safari in Tadoba?
You can book a jungle safari in Tadoba either online or through your hotel. The online process is pretty easy and can be easily done through the official website of Tadoba Andhari Tiger reserve.
The process of booking your Tadoba safari online
- On the menu, you can see Safari on top left which will give you two options: Regular and Tatkal.
- Click on Regular if you are booking before 3 days of the safari.
- Click on Tatkal (Urgent) if you are booking between 1-3 days of the safari. Be aware that fewer gypsies are available for Tatkal booking and they get filled up very fast.
- Enter tour date, select zone, and voila! You can see the availability for your preferred date +/- 2 days.
- Click on the available number (note that zeroes are not clickable) and you will be prompted to enter your phone number.
- You can then register yourself and complete the booking.
- The portal accepts both credit and debit cards.
- Once you receive the confirmed booking in your email, download a copy in your mobile to show at the gate. Print outs aren’t necessary.
- Also use the booking at the entrance check-post to enter into TATR. If you do not have a copy handy, you will need to pay INR 100 to enter. Remember mobile network is bad within the park. Only Reliance Jio works here.
What do you need to book a Tadoba jungle safari?
- A valid id proof – voter id/passport/Aadhar card/PAN Card/Driving license.
- Phone number where you can get the OTP.
- An email address where you will receive the booked tickets.
If you feel too overwhelmed by the online booking process or simply wish to avoid the hassle, ask your hotel to book a Tadoba tiger safari for you. They usually do it for an extra charge.
Please note that there are many phony websites that will lure you into booking with them. However, what I have to linked to in my post is the only legitimate one. Also the least expensive.
What is the cost of a Tadoba safari?
The cost of a Tadoba safari varies by the type of safari you decide to book. Core safaris can cost anywhere between INR 4125 – INR 11125. Buffer safaris cost between INR 3625 – INR 4625.
Core safaris are not just more expensive than buffer safaris, their pricing is also more complicated to understand.
If you plan to reserve a core safari 60-120 days prior to the safari date, the cost is significantly higher than if you plan to do it between 4-59 days. This might sound counterintuitive but has been done to regulate rampant pre-booking by resorts and agents. I highly recommend booking your safari between 4-59 days before your intended safari date – the earlier the better.
How do I book a gypsy in Tadoba?
A gypsy booking is included in the safari pricing at Tadoba National Park. So, you do not need to book a gypsy separately in Tadoba.
How to travel from your hotel to the safari gate?
One of my readers asked me this pertinent question on how to travel between the hotel and Tadoba safari gate. That is when I realized that I should probably have a section on it on the blog post.
Here’s my answer to this question.
- If you book your safari through the hotel, they will have a gypsy pick you up from the hotel to the safari gate.
- If you book the safari on your own, you will need a private transfer from the hotel to the gate. For example, we had a car with us for the entire time we were in Tadoba and our driver picked and dropped us all the time.
- However, that said, some hotels can arrange a gypsy to pick you up from their premises even if you have booked the safari on your own. They might charge some extra money for the services but it is worth it. So check with the hotel manager or reception when you arrive.
Which is the best time to visit Tadoba?
Summer time, March – June, is the best time to visit Tadoba for tiger sightings. Because the temperatures are high and vegetation is sparse, it is easy to sight the big cats as they come out to drink water.
However, if you are looking for a more comfortable time to visit Tadoba with decent sightings, winter is good. Between December – February, temperatures are lower and it is still easy to see the animals through the not-so-dense foliage.
Important points to note
- Tadoba National Park is closed to tourists during the monsoon months of July-September.
- Core gates are closed every Tuesday.
- Buffer gates are closed every Wednesday.
Tadoba safari timings
The safari timings between November – February are:
- Morning: 6:30 – 10:30am
- Evening: 2 – 6pm
- Night: 7 – 10pm
Between March – April & October, the timings are:
- Morning: 6 -10am
- Evening: 2:30 – 6:30 pm
Between May – June, the timings are:
- Morning: 5:30 – 9:30am
- Evening: 3 – 7pm
Important tips for Tadoba jungle safari
- Book multiple safaris and plan to stay at least 2-3 days for higher chances of sighting.
- You cannot use mobile phones to click pictures inside the national park. If possible, get a camera with a zoom lens. All my pictures were clicked with my Nikon 55-300mm lens.
- It is going to be really dusty inside the park. Please bring a scarf to cover your hair and mask to cover your nose and mouth.
- If you are visiting in winter, morning and night safaris are going to be cold. Do not forget to carry a light jacket.
- There’s usually one rest stop midway during the safari. Plan accordingly.
- Carry some snacks in case you get hungry midway.
Other FAQ about Tadoba jungle safari booking
How many tigers are there in Tadoba?
According to latest reports, there are 115 tigers and 151 leopards in Tadoba-Andhari Tiger Reserve and buffer areas. The number is continuously growing.
How many gates are there in Tadoba?
There are 6 core gates and 16 buffer gates in Tadoba National Park. Have a look at our gates section to explore in detail.
Is Tadoba closed on Tuesday?
Tadoba core gates are closed on Tuesday. But buffer gates are open.
How far is Tadoba from Nagpur?
Tadoba is approximately 140 kms from Nagpur. It takes nearly 3 hours to get to Tadoba Moharli Gate from the Nagpur Airport. Some of the roads are bad and can take longer.
How can I go to Tadoba from Nagpur?
You can go to Tadoba from Nagpur by car or private taxi. Book an Ola/Uber trip once you land at the airport or hire a local taxi that can be with you throughout the trip.
I highly recommend hiring a local guy who knows his way around the place instead of driving yourself. If you are struggling to get reliable drivers, drop me a line here and I will be happy to share my contacts with you.